Monday, December 3, 2012

Your Words influence the weather in your classroom…..

So...what words do you use and what is the weather like in your room?

Replace the tactics that don't work with ones that do

Things that do not work
      NAGGING
      BEING SARCASTIC
      SCOLDING
      YELLING
      THREATENING
      TURNING REQUESTS INTO QUESTIONS
      IGNORING
      NOT LISTENING
      TOO MANY  WORDS
      OTHER….

THINK ABOUT USING THE 3 "R'S"

REINFORCING
      “I notice the way you remembered to bring all your materials to class, thanks”.
      “I notice that you have taken the time to read the directions and now you are figuring out the next thing to do.”
      “I notice the way you remembered where to turn in your work so I can find it.”
      “ I notice………….

REMINDING
      “Before we go to our next period, remind me what you will need to do.”
      “Who remembers what we will need to get together for our history project?”
      “If someone asks you to play a game, what are friendly ways you might respond?  Remind me.”
      “ Remind me what happens in this class if someone makes a mistake.”
      “George, I see you walking around the room, remind me what we are supposed to be doing now.”
      REMINDING CAN BE USED AS A “SET-UP” OF EXPECTATIONS PRIOR TO DOING ANY TRANSITIONS.

REDIRECTING
      “Pencils are for writing, Sam…..”
      “I hear a lot of talking. This is your time to get your projects together.”
      I hear conversations about T.V. shows. What do we need to be thinking about now?
      I want to hear quiet voices….
      I see this table is unsettled.  I will hold your papers for now. Tell me when you are ready to begin work. 
 Remember we all to have
   be finished before we________ this afternoon.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment